Four minors caught setting SLO’s Sinsheimer Park playground ablaze, police say
Four minors were caught setting the playground at San Luis Obispo’s Sinsheimer Park on fire just after midnight Sunday, according to the San Luis Obispo Police Department.
Police received several reports of “fireworks” around 12:11 a.m. near Sinsheimer School, according to a news release.
When an officer arrived at the scene, he saw the playground structure burning and four people running off, police said. The playground is near the park’s entrance.
The San Luis Obispo City Fire Department responded to the scene and extinguished the flames before the fire spread to other structures, police said.
According to the release, the fire mostly affected the upper climbing section of the playground.
Two of the four minors were caught immediately, according to police. The other two fled on foot, but were were caught nearby.
According to the release, the four are the only people believed to be involved in the arson. Their names will not be released because they are minors and the investigation is ongoing, according to police.
The department said the incident will be filed with the Juvenile Services division of the San Luis Obispo County Probation Department.
The $1.1 million playground on Southwood Drive opened in 2017 and has been vandalized at least twice since then.
In December 2019, Sinsheimer Park’s playground was closed for repairs for several weeks due to vandalism, according to Tribune archives.
In October 2019, a piece of artificial turf was stolen. The turf cost about $10,000 to replace.
Parks and facilities officials were not available for comment Sunday.
Anyone with more information about the crime can call Officer Megan Donovan at 805-781-7321.
This story was originally published February 23, 2020 at 9:01 AM.