The San Luis Obispo County Public Health department inspected around 120 food vendors in September.
Surprise visits can lead to an award of excellence for a sparkling kitchen, or result in suggestions for changes to keep up with state health and safety regulations.
Each month, The Tribune brings that information to our readers to empower you to make informed consumer choices. We analyze the data produced from the inspector reports to create a list of cafes, diners, ice cream parlors and more that scored the highest and the lowest in the previous month.
Highest rated restaurants
These restaurants received a score of 100 with no violations.
San Luis Obispo:
- Coastal Peaks Roasters, 3566 S. Higuera St., No. 100, San Luis Obispo
- Hotel San Luis Obispo, 877 Palm St., San Luis Obispo (New restaurant)
- Koberl’s At Blue, 998 Monterey St., San Luis Obispo
- Kona’s Deli, 977 E. Foothill Blvd., No. 108, San Luis Obispo
- La Esquina Taqueria, 1049 Nipomo St., San Luis Obispo
- Sasquatch Coffee House, 1050 Monterey St., Suite 228, San Luis Obispo
- Starbucks Coffee, 17 Chorro St., Suite D, San Luis Obispo
- Starbucks Coffee, 3970 Broad St., No. 1, San Luis Obispo
- The Village at the Oaks, 61 Broad St., San Luis Obispo
- The Village at the Palms, 55 Broad St., San Luis Obispo
- The Sea Chest, 6216 Moonstone Beach Drive, Cambria
- Domino’s Pizza, 2360 Main St., Suite B, Morro Bay
- Manta Rey Restaurant, 9240 Castillo Drive, San Simeon
- Reimer’s Candies, 324 Front St., Suite A, Avila Beach
- Vespera on Ocean, 147 Stimson Ave., Pismo Beach (New restaurant)
- Santa Maria Brewing Co., 115 Cuyama Lane, Nipomo (New restaurant)
- Jocey’s Juices & Deli, 564 Mesa View Drive, Nipomo (New restaurant)
- McDonald’s, 1168 W. Branch St., Arroyo Grande
- Ortega’s Mexican Cuisine, 5625 El Camino Real, Atascadero
- Refuge Church, 6955 Portola Road, Atascadero
- Sunrise Donuts, 7345 El Camino Real, Atascadero
These restaurants received a score of 99 or 99.5 with few violations.
Golden Moon, 1165 Grand Ave., Arroyo Grande
- McDonalds, 410 Grand Ave., Arroyo Grande
- Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, 354 Five Cities Drive, Pismo Beach
- Jersey Mike’s Subs, 3940 Broad St., Suite 1, San Luis Obispo
- Shalimar Restaraunt, 3820 Broad St., San Luis Obispo
- Taco King, 158 S. Higuera St., Suite B, San Luis Obispo
- French Hospital, 1911 Johnson Ave., San Luis Obispo
- Hong Kong Chinese Restaurant, 905 Los Osos Valley Road, Suite A, Los Osos
- Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill, 6550 Moonstone Beach Drive, Cambria
- Sasquatch Coffee Company, 915 13th St., Paso Robles
- Il Cortile Ristorante, 608 12th St., Suite A, Paso Robles
- Holiday Inn Express, 9010 W. Front Road, Atascadero
Lowest rated restaurants
Fattoush, 5 Santa Rosa St., San Luis Obispo
Points lost: N/A
Notes: Inspectors determined the restaurant was not in compliance with health and safety codes in the most recent inspection in mid-September. Several repeat violations were identified. There is a lack of required supplies at the hand-wash station. Food contact surfaces need to be regularly cleaned.
Nautical Cowboy, 6005 El Camino Real, Atascadero
Points lost: 18.5
Notes: Inspectors observed repeat violations. Hand wash sink was blocked and stocked with bar soap, instead of dispenser. Employee beverage was in food preparation area without a lid. Boxes of frozen meat in the kitchen, thawing for later use.
Big Bubba’s Bad BBQ, 1125 24th St., Paso Robles
Points lost: 17.5
Notes: Inspectors observed reheated foods not cooked to minimum temperature. Grime accumulation on bar guns. Leaking mop sink. Tiles falling off wall behind cook line. Ensure employees are educated in proper food handling.
Thai-rrific, 208 Higuera St., San Luis Obispo
Points lost: 15.5
Notes: Score was reduced for repeat violations, including requirements of valid food handler’s certification, hot and cold water not available, food contact surfaces be clean.
The Rib Line, 12308 Los Osos Valley Road, San Luis Obispo
Points lost: 15
Notes: Multiple repeat violations. Numerous flies observed in facility due to open kitchen door. Piercing parts of the can opener heavily encrusted with food residue. Stop storing ice scoop on top of the machine.
These restaurants also received scores below 90 due to violations.
- Divine Thai Cuisine, 501 W. Grand Ave., Grover Beach
- Frank’s Famous Hot Dogs, 950 California Blvd., San Luis Obispo
- Duckie’s, 55 Cayucos Drive, Cayucos