Local

Day 15: Chimney Fire 52 percent contained; residents rally to thank firefighters

Firefighters on Saturday continued to gain traction on the Chimney Fire, which had burned 45,108 acres and was 52 percent contained by Saturday evening, although Hearst Castle and Bryson Hesperia Resort north of Lake Nacimiento remained threatened.

Crews sustained the progress they made Friday on the fire that’s been burning near the lake since Aug. 13. Although flames scorched 100 more acres, containment inched up by 1 percent.

All boating restrictions on Lake Nacimiento were lifted at 2 p.m. Saturday, according to the Monterey County Park Rangers Association, meaning boats can now travel from one end of the lake to the other.

Evacuation orders are still in effect for the Bryson Hesperia area of southern Monterey County. All other orders remain lifted.

An American Red Cross evacuation shelter that had been operating at Flamson Middle School closed Friday. The shelter is on standby and will reopen if needed, said Ryan McMahon, Red Cross disaster program manager.

Cooler weather is firefighters’ friend

Cal Fire spokesman John Buchanan said cooler weather had helped firefighters in their battle against the blaze.

“The weather is our friend right now,” he said.

Even so, the fire’s northwest corner continued to be a challenge, Buchanan said. Steep, rugged terrain and drought-dry brush and trees made controlling flames difficult.

All 3,985 firefighters are expected to remain assigned to the Chimney Fire for at least the next couple of days while containment efforts continue, Cal Fire spokesman Carlos Rodriguez said.

“No way are we out of the woods yet,” Buchanan added, “but we’re probably right there.”

Hearst Castle still threatened

As of Saturday evening, the fire continued to threaten Hearst Castle, which state park officials hope to reopen in time for Labor Day weekend.

Dan Falat, State Parks superintendent, said no official reopen date has been set. He and other officials continue to work closely with Cal Fire, which is using the Castle grounds as a staging area.

Falat said the Castle’s reopening would be based on Cal Fire’s efforts in the area and whether the fire remains an active threat to the Castle.

“It’s a constant evaluation,” Falat said.

Locals rally in support of firefighters

Hundreds of residents rallied Saturday morning in front of Flamson Middle School in Paso Robles to thank firefighters heading into and out of the Cal Fire headquarters set up at the California Mid-State Fairgrounds.

Attendees cheered, waved American flags and held up signs praising crews’ efforts. Firefighters driving trucks through the area honked and waved in response.

Kari Wagner and her daughter Kaci, both of Paso Robles, brought a sign that read “Thanks firefighters” and “We love you” in red, yellow and blue paint.

“Thank you, firefighters, for protecting our homes and land,” Kari said. “And stay safe.”

Brian Steiger, a Cal Fire spokesman, said the show of community support made weary firefighters’ long hours and time away from home worthwhile.

“A lot of these firefighters, they come out on the lines for a long time,” Steiger said. “This may be their second or third fire that they’ve gone to this season. They’re away from their families, they’re tired, and yet they continue to give 100 percent to this incident.”

Janet Lavelle contributed to this story.

This story was originally published August 27, 2016 at 7:56 AM with the headline "Day 15: Chimney Fire 52 percent contained; residents rally to thank firefighters."

Related Stories from San Luis Obispo Tribune
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER