380-acre grass fire at Vandenberg 80 percent contained
Forward progress was stopped Friday evening on a 380-acre vegetation fire that broke out at Vandenberg Air Force Base earlier in the day.
Santa Barbara County Fire spokesman Mike Eliason said the blaze was 80 percent contained by 5:45 p.m. No structures had been lost, and crews were expected to remain on scene through the night.
The fire reportedly was burning near El Rancho Road on North Base; aircraft and bulldozers were used to fight the blaze. Winds were reportedly blowing at 5 to 10 mph.
The blaze reportedly was burning away from the small community of Casmalia. Vandenberg officials said non-essential personnel in the area were evacuated.
By 11:30 a.m., firefighters estimated the blaze had burned 100 acres, according to emergency dispatch reports. Firefighters also were advised that power lines were down in the area.
Personnel from Santa Barbara County Fire Department and the city of Lompoc were dispatched to assist the Vandenberg Fire Department.
While November may seem late for a fire, the deadliest blaze in Vandenberg’s history sparked Dec. 20, 1977. The 9,000-acre Honda Canyon Fire on South Base killed four men, including the base commander, fire chief, assistant fire chief and a heavy equipment operator.
Noozhawk North County editor Janene Scully can be reached at jscully@noozhawk.com. Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.
This story was originally published November 24, 2017 at 11:14 AM with the headline "380-acre grass fire at Vandenberg 80 percent contained."