After a relatively calm start to Sunday, the rains turned heavier, leading to mudslides and car crashes by the evening.
On Sunday night, Caltrans tweeted that there were mudslides and flooding along Highway 1 between Morro Bay and Cayucos and advised motorists to avoid “non-essential travel” in the area.
At 10 p.m., the California Highway Patrol listed 14 incidents on its website. Five of those were flooded roads: three were in the northern part of San Luis Obispo County and two were in South County. There were three reports of mud and debris in roads across the county and six car crashes.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Old Creek Road between Highway 1 and Highway 46 is blocked by water and mud, the CHP reported.
▪ Vineyard Drive at Hidden Valley Road in Templeton is blocked by a mudslide.
▪ There were reports of flooding on River Road at Spanish Camp Road in Paso Robles, but the CHP did not report the road was closed.
▪ A tree is blocking Highway 1 just south of Ragged Point. CHP reported that Caltrans had been asked to respond with a plow truck. Highway 1 near the Piedras Blancas lighthouse was reported as flooded and CHP units were escorting several cars down the road.
▪ There was a rockslide at the Antelope Grade northeast of Paso Robles.
▪ Mud reported in the lanes of southbound Highway 101 just north of the Cuesta summit.
▪ The National Weather Service issued a flash flood watch for recent burn areas in San Luis Obispo County, especially the area affected by the Chimney Fire. The watch went into effect at 4 p.m. and lasts until late Sunday night. A flash flood watch means that conditions that lead to flash flooding could develop. The agency also forecast that San Luis Obispo County could receive more than a half-inch of rain per hour Sunday night, with mudslides possible around the Chimney Fire burn area.
▪ Highway 1 is closed in both directions from Division Street to Oso Flaco Lake Road in Nipomo due to flooding, Caltrans said. The agency asks that drivers use Highway 166 and Highway 101 as a detour.
▪ At Highway 1 and Oso Flaco Lake Road, a vehicle spun out and landed in a ditch, according to the CHP. No one was hurt.
▪ Dawn Road at Sundale Way in Nipomo is flooded, the CHP said.
▪ A traffic collision was reported on Highway 101 near Santa Barbara Road in Atascadero. Reports on the CHP’s website say one car hydroplaned into another.
▪ Five other collisions have been reported on Highway 101.
▪ 124 customers are affected by a downed power line in Atascadero. By 10 p.m., that number was down to 9 customers.