Teen, adult charged in fire that burned down Templeton Feed & Grain
A teenager faces charges for allegedly burning down Templeton Feed & Grain with fireworks last year — and an adult faces charges for allegedly helping him acquire those fireworks, the San Luis Obispo County District Attorney’s Office said on Thursday.
A 16-year-old San Luis Obispo County resident and Morro Bay resident Michael Joseph Steele, 38, allegedly traveled to Bakersfield together to purchase illegal fireworks between June 22, 2025, and July 5, 2025, the District Attorney’s Office said in a news release.
The pair then posted about the fireworks on social media, the release said.
Templeton Fire Department Chief Tom Peterson previously told The Tribune that fireworks ignited on the lower roof of the granary on July 4, before spreading through the rest of the structure.
After the fire, the granary had to be demolished. But the owners are rebuilding the storefront after raising $455,000 from the community.
On Wednesday, the District Attorney’s Office charged Steele with felony child endangerment, felony possession of ingredients to make a destructive device or explosive, felony conspiracy to commit a crime, misdemeanor possession of unaltered fireworks with a gross weight of less than 25 pounds, misdemeanor possession of dangerous fireworks and misdemeanor possession and storage of unregistered fireworks.
Charges were also filed against the teenager in the Juvenile Division of the San Luis Obispo County Superior Court. Because he is a juvenile, the District Attorney’s Office will not release his name.
The teenager’s charges include felony arson, felony possession of ingredients to make a destructive device or explosive, misdemeanor possession of unaltered dangerous fireworks with a gross weight of less than 25 pounds and conspiracy to commit a crime.
The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office secured a warrant for Steele’s arrest and planned to apprehend him on Thursday, the release said. However, Steele contacted a bail bond company, which filed a $200,000 bail bond with the Superior Court.
As a result, Steele avoided arrest, the District Attorney’s Office said. His arraignment is scheduled for June 4 at 8:30 a.m. in Department 1 of San Luis Obispo Superior Court.
Steele will likely be booked into the San Luis Obispo County Jail after his arraignment, the District Attorney’s Office said.
The teenager’s arraignment is also scheduled for June 4 at the Juvenile Services Center on Kansas Avenue.
“The illegal use of explosive devices and fireworks puts lives at risk, destroys irreplaceable property and tears at the fabric of our communities,” District Attorney Dan Dow said in the release. “The Templeton Feed & Grain fire is a powerful and painful example of the real and lasting harm that results from this type of reckless and unlawful behavior. Every person who participates in obtaining, possessing, transporting or using illegal explosives or fireworks will be held accountable.”
This story was originally published May 21, 2026 at 4:48 PM.