Crime

Cal Poly employee accused of sexually assaulting woman while posing as driver appears in court

Angel Munoz Quintana pleaded not guilty to seven felony charges in San Luis Obispo Superior Court on Jan. 17, 2025. He is accused of posing as a rideshare driver and sexually assaulting one college-aged woman and holding another against her will, according to the San Luis Obispo Police Department.
Angel Munoz Quintana pleaded not guilty to seven felony charges in San Luis Obispo Superior Court on Jan. 17, 2025. He is accused of posing as a rideshare driver and sexually assaulting one college-aged woman and holding another against her will, according to the San Luis Obispo Police Department. cjones@thetribunenews.com

Editor’s note: This story is about sexual assault.

The Cal Poly employee who allegedly posed as a rideshare driver before sexually assaulting one woman and kidnapping another pleaded not guilty to the crimes on Friday.

Angel Munoz Quintana, a 29-year-old man from Nipomo, was arrested on Wednesday following two incidents over the weekend, the San Luis Obispo Police Department said in a news release.

According to police, a college-aged woman reported she had been sexually assaulted on Monday. Later in the investigation, police said, detectives found a second college-aged woman was allegedly held in his vehicle against her will. The second woman was not sexually assaulted, police said.

The San Luis Obispo County District Attorney’s Office charged Munoz Quintana with seven felonies connected to two victims: assault with the intent to commit rape, oral copulation by force, oral copulation of an intoxicated victim, and false imprisonment for the first victim, along with kidnapping, false imprisonment and criminal threats for the second.

Both incidents occurred in the neighborhoods adjacent to Cal Poly, police said.

Matt Lazier, spokesperson for Cal Poly, confirmed to The Tribune that Munoz Quintana is a Cal Poly employee, but he did not specify what department Munoz Quintana worked in.

San Luis Obispo Superior Court Judge Barry LaBarbera issued protective orders for each victim, banning Munoz Quintana from contacting them. Munoz Quintana will remain in San Luis Obispo County Jail custody with a $1.2 million bail for at least the next week, LaBarbera said.

LaBarbera set Munoz Quintana’s next hearing for Jan. 23, when he will have an opportunity to argue for modifications to his bail.

Nipomo resident Angel Munoz Quintana, 29, was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and sexual assault charges on Jan. 15, 2024. According to the San Luis Obispo Police Department, he allegedly posed as a rideshare driver and assaulted one college-aged woman and held another against her will. This was the vehicle he used.
Nipomo resident Angel Munoz Quintana, 29, was arrested on suspicion of kidnapping and sexual assault charges on Jan. 15, 2024. According to the San Luis Obispo Police Department, he allegedly posed as a rideshare driver and assaulted one college-aged woman and held another against her will. This was the vehicle he used. San Luis Obispo Police Department

The investigation into the incident was ongoing, and police said they were “concerned there may be more victims.”

Police encouraged anyone who may have been victimized or with information to contact the Police Department at 805-594-8025.

If you or someone you know are a survivor of sexual assault, you can call the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline at 800-656-4673. The hotline offers a range of free services including confidential support from a trained staff member, help finding a local health facility, legal and medical advice and referrals for long-term support. Survivor support and resources are also available through Lumina Alliance at luminaalliance.org or their Crisis and Information Line at 805-545-8888.

This story was originally published January 17, 2025 at 3:21 PM.

Chloe Jones
The Tribune
Chloe Jones is a former journalist for The Tribune
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER