Crime

Morro Bay man sentenced to prison for fatal stabbing outside storage complex

A Morro Bay man who pleaded guilty to manslaughter for the stabbing death of an acquaintance following an altercation in January was sentenced Thursday to six years in state prison.

Sean Maneely was originally facing a murder charge for the Jan. 25 fatal stabbing of 58-year-old Andrew McTaggart, also of Morro Bay.

But a week before he was to face trial, Maneely accepted a plea agreement with San Luis Obispo County prosecutors in early July, pleading guilty to voluntary manslaughter in exchange for a sentence not to exceed seven years.

Maneely was facing a count of murder as well as a sentencing enhancement for using a knife in the killing of McTaggart.

If he was convicted of first-degree murder at trial, Maneely, 53, faced 25 years to life in prison.

The manslaughter charge carried a six-year term, and a sentencing enhancement attached to the charge for the use of a deadly weapon would have added an additional year.

But at his sentencing hearing Thursday, Superior Court Judge Tim Covello stayed that additional year pending Maneely’s completion of the six-year term.

At the hearing, both Maneely and members of McTaggart’s family read statements to the court, according to court records.

Fight led to stabbing

Officers responded to the Morro Bay Self Storage building in the 1100 block of Allesandro Street at about 3:49 p.m. Jan. 25 for a reported stabbing.

Morro Bay Police Chief Jody Cox said several witnesses at the scene told officers that two men had been involved in a physical fight prior to the stabbing.

McTaggart, who was stabbed once in the upper left chest, was given emergency aid on scene and transported by ambulance to Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center in San Luis Obispo, where he later died of his injuries.

Maneely was arrested at the scene.

The District Attorney’s Office filed a single charge of murder against Maneely on Jan. 31, and he pleaded not guilty Feb. 6.

His defense attorney, Ilan Funke-Bilu, previously told The Tribune that McTaggart’s death was “an unfortunate incident involving two friends” that he thought both the defense and prosecution recognized was “a tragedy.”

“I wouldn’t say we’re happy with the results, but given the risks on both sides (in a potential trial), I think sometimes it best serves everyone to come to a compromise,” Funke-Bilu said July 7.

Asked about the circumstances that led up to McTaggart’s death, Funke-Bilu said his client was inside his storage unit playing music when he was approached by McTaggart and some sort of altercation ensued.

Funke-Bilu said he did not wish to speak ill of the deceased, but during his office’s investigation, he discovered significant past incidents of violence by McTaggart, which he intended to present at trial.

He said Maneely has been remorseful about McTaggart’s killing since it occurred.

Maneely remains in San Luis Obispo County Jail pending his transfer to California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation custody for prison placement.

Related Stories from San Luis Obispo Tribune
Matt Fountain
The Tribune
Matt Fountain is The San Luis Obispo Tribune’s courts and investigations reporter. A San Diego native, Fountain graduated from Cal Poly’s journalism department in 2009 and cut his teeth at the San Luis Obispo New Times before joining The Tribune as a crime and breaking news reporter in 2014.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER