Coronavirus updates: SLO closes downtown streets, Santa Maria nursing home reports 5 deaths
It has been more than three months since the first COVID-19 case in San Luis Obispo County was confirmed. As of Tuesday, the county had 356 confirmed cases of coronavirus.
Tuesday’s tally broke the record of the highest number of active cases for the second day in a row with 60 active cases.
As houses of worship begin to open their doors and protests relating to the death of George Floyd continue, the California Health Department has changed its guidelines on activities protected by the First Amendment.
Here are your coronavirus updates for Tuesday.
Santa Maria skilled nursing facility reports 5 COVID-19 deaths
Five residents in a Santa Maria skilled nursing facility have died of COVID-19, and dozens of others have tested positive in the outbreak, Santa Barbara County Public Health Director Van Do-Reynoso said Tuesday.
Two of the deaths had apparently previously been reported, without mentioning the care center, and Do-Reynoso told the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors that three additional residents at Country Oaks Care Center died on Monday.
There have been 37 total cases reported at the Santa Maria facility, including 13 staff members and 24 residents, Do-Reynoso said.
With the report of three deaths on Tuesday, there have been 22 COVID-19 deaths reported in Santa Barbara County, including eight in Santa Maria residents, four in Lompoc, four among Lompoc federal correctional complex inmates, one in unincorporated North County, two in Santa Barbara, two in Goleta, and one reported in the unincorporated Goleta Valley and Gaviota Coast.
SLO is closing downtown streets to make space for outdoor dining
Beginning on Thursday, the city of San Luis Obispo will close some public streets, sidewalks and plaza areas to make space for outdoor dining and retail to help businesses who were faced with coronavirus-related closures.
The San Luis Obispo City Council approved the new Open SLO pilot program in May.
Segments of Monterey and Higuera streets will be temporarily closed to car traffic, allowing restaurants and retail shops to use the street areas adjacent to their stores with a city-issued permit.
Mission Plaza and Monterey Street from Chorro to Osos streets will close to car traffic starting Thursday and will close weekly on Thursday and Friday evenings, from 5 to 8 p.m., and on weekends from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.
SLO County adds 9 coronavirus cases — with 5 in North County
San Luis Obispo County added nine new COVID-19 cases Tuesday, according to ReadySLO.org. A total of 356 local residents have now tested positive for COVID-19 since March.
Tuesday’s tally comes after the county reported 23 new cases on Monday, which included new cases reported over the weekend.
San Luis Obispo County reported its highest number of active cases yet on Tuesday, with 60 active cases — one more than the 59 active cases reported Monday.
The county has had more than 50 active cases at once a total of four times since mid-March — with 54 active cases on March 28, 53 active cases on May 11 and 59 active cases on June 15.
Of the nine newest cases, three were added in Atascadero and two in Paso Robles. Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo, Templeton and Nipomo each added one new case.
SLO County won’t limit outdoor protest, church services capacity
Outdoor activities protected by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution, including religious services and protests, are no longer limited in capacity due to COVID-19, according to new guidelines released by the California State Health Department.
Instead, strict physical distancing is expected at any gathering protected by the constitution, according to a county news release. Indoor activities will still be limited to 25% capacity or 100 people.
The change in guidelines was released after houses of worship and some businesses were allowed to reopen at limited capacity and following protests relating to the death of George Floyd.
Rise in cases largely attributed to graduation party
San Luis Obispo County reported 23 new COVID-19 cases Monday, but health officials said “it is not unexpected” to see a rise in cases — and most of the new local cases were traced back to one gathering.
Most of the cases, which included Saturday and Sunday’s new cases, can be attributed to family contact and traced back to a graduation party, according to a county news release. The county did not clarify where the graduation party was held.
The rise in cases is also to be expected with the state’s reopening, public health officer Dr. Penny Borenstein said in the release.
According to the release, 14 of the 23 cases are attributed to person-to-person spread, one is attributed to travel and five are attribute to community spread. Three of the cases reported Monday still have unknown transmission routes.
Correction: The story has been updated to reflect that only outdoor activities covered by the First Amendment may take place without a capacity limit. Indoor services and protests are still limited to 25% capacity or 100 people.
This story was originally published June 16, 2020 at 12:21 PM.