Two fires burn 51 acres near Reservoir Canyon in San Luis Obispo

Update, 8:10 a.m. Monday

The fires reached 100 percent containment at 10 p.m. Sunday night, according to Cal Fire.

Original story:

Two fires in the Reservoir Canyon area burned about 51 acres on Sunday morning, according to Cal Fire spokesman Chris Elms.

The fires began at about 8:30 a.m. in the area of Reservoir Canyon near northbound Highway 101 and Cuesta Park, Elms said. One of the fires was on the northwest end of Reservoir Canyon, and the other fire was closer to Highway 101, Elms said.

By 10:30 a.m., firefighting aircraft had been released and the fires were 60 percent contained, Elms said. Containment rose to 90 percent by about 3 p.m., according to Elms. At that time, firefighters were performing “heavy work” mopping up the fire.

“It’s all mop-up at this point,” Elms said, adding that firefighters would be mopping up for another four to five hours.

No structures were threatened and no one was injured in the fire. One power line went down as a result of the blaze, but Elms said PG&E crews were working to repair it.

The fires were reportedly the cause of a campus-wide power outage at Cal Poly, according to a mass announcement from the university.

The outage began at about 8:30 a.m., according to university spokesman Matt Lazier. Move-in and Week of Welcome activities continued during the outage as scheduled, the university said in an announcement.

Shawn Spani, a freshman from Oakdale living in the new elewexe residence hall, said she noticed the power was out at about 8:30 a.m.

“I got up this morning, went to the bathroom and the lights were all shut off and I couldn’t get back into my dorm,” Spani said, adding that her roommate let her back into their room.

Spani, who just moved in, said the experience was “kinda scary.”

Cal Poly’s outage was part of a larger outage that initially affected 284 other customers on Highway 1 between Hollister Road and Quintana Road, according to Karly Hernandez, a spokeswoman for PG&E. Every customer but Cal Poly had their power restored by 10:11 a.m., Hernandez said. She added that the cause of the outage was under investigation.

Power was restored to Cal Poly incrementally, Hernandez said, and was completely restored by about 12:30 p.m., according to the university.

Local news matters: We rely on readers like you more than ever before, and we currently offer free access to five stories a month. Support us further with a digital subscription to help ensure we can provide strong local journalism for many years to come. #ReadLocal

Gabby Ferreira: 805-781-7858, @Its_GabbyF

Related stories from San Luis Obispo Tribune