Coronavirus

Coronavirus updates: New California Men’s Colony outbreak, Santa Maria resident dies

San Luis Obispo County added 119 new coronavirus cases between Friday and Monday, bringing the total number of local cases to 1,902.

As cases continue to rise, the California Men’s Colony is experiencing another coronavirus outbreak.

And another death due to COVID-19 was reported in Santa Maria.

Here are your local updates for Tuesday.

50 California Men’s Colony inmates, workers test positive for COVID-19

The California Men’s Colony is experiencing another coronavirus outbreak — and it’s much larger than the COVID-19 outbreak that hit the state prison in May.

According to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, 43 inmates and seven employees at the state prison in San Luis Obispo have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past two weeks as of Tuesday.

In response to the outbreak, the San Luis Obispo County Public Health Department tested 309 of the 3,469 inmates at the prison, according to the CDCR.

Santa Maria resident dies due to COVID-19

Santa Barbara County reported an additional COVID-19-related death and 31 new cases of coronavirus on Monday, Noozhawk reported.

A Santa Maria resident over 70 years old with underlying medical conditions died of COVID-19 “during the last week of June,” Public Health officials said in a statement.

The countywide cumulative total is now 6,464 COVID-19 cases, and 61 deaths, according to the county Public Health Department.

SLO County group helps undocumented immigrants affected by COVID-19

Immigrants in San Luis Obispo County have been among the hardest hit by coronavirus and the economic turmoil that it’s caused, according to a group of community leaders that’s formed a financial relief program.

SLO County UndocuSupport was formed in April by a network of local nonprofit organizations, churches, public sector leaders and community volunteers.

The program has collected about $150,000 so far through various philanthropic grants and donations to distribute $300 to $500 per undocumented person and up to $599 per family.

As of Monday, the program has allocated a total of $58,361 to undocumented individuals and families.

Paso Robles city manager warns of new COVD-19 restrictions

Paso Robles’ city manager on Monday warned leaders could take action if residents don’t make an effort to limit the spread of coronavirus as cases continue to rise in the North County city.

City manager Tom Frutchey released a letter addressed to the Paso Robles community in which he discusses the city’s status as a COVID-19 hotspot and pushes residents to take action to prevent the spread of the virus.

Frutchey pointed out that Paso Robles made up 26% of San Luis Obispo County’s cases in July.

As of Monday, the Paso Robles area had recorded 501 cases of COVID-19.

12 Diablo Canyon workers have tested positive for COVID-19

A dozen Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant workers have tested positive for coronavirus since the start of the global pandemic.

PG&E spokeswoman Suzanne Hosn told The Tribune on Friday that despite workers testing positive, the plant is running as normal

Hosn noted that PG&E has taken a number of steps since the start of the pandemic to slow the spread of coronavirus among its workers, especially given the sensitive nature of operating a nuclear power plant.

Follow More of Our Reporting on Coronavirus in California

Cassandra Garibay
The Tribune
Cassandra Garibay reports on housing throughout the San Joaquin Valley with Fresnoland at The Fresno Bee. Cassandra graduated from Cal Poly and was the breaking news and health reporter at The SLO Tribune prior to returning to the valley where she grew up. Cassandra is a two-time McClatchy President’s Award recipient. Send story ideas her way via email at cgaribay@fresnobee.com. Habla Español.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER