Crime

Third Cal Poly football player pleads no contest in robbery case

CP Football Players Hearing
Cal Poly football players Dominique Love, Cortland Fort, Jake Brito and Kristaan Ivory listen to testimony in an attempted robbery case during Monday's preliminary hearing at San Luis Obispo Superior Court. ldickinson@thetribunenews.com

A third Cal Poly football player involved in an alleged frat house robbery attempt pleaded no contest Wednesday to conspiracy charges.

Dominique Love, 20, will receive a one-year jail sentence and five years of probation after pleading no contest to two charges — conspiracy to commit residential robbery in concert with burglary and conspiracy to commit grand theft.

Love and four teammates were arrested in August 2014 in connection with an attempted robbery at the Delta Sigma Phi fraternity house in San Luis Obispo. Also charged were Kristaan Ivory, 22; Cameron Akins, 20; Jake Brito, 20; and Cortland Fort, 21. Police say they traveled to the fraternity seeking drugs or money. According to police, Akins brandished an unloaded pistol during the attempt.

Fort and Brito had previously entered pleas to conspiracy charges. Fort was sentenced to three years of probation, while Brito has yet to be sentenced.

Akins has a trial-setting conference set for Oct. 28, and Ivory is scheduled to appear for a motion to suppress evidence Nov. 9. In his motion, joined by Brito and Fort, Ivory claims Cal Poly head coach Tim Walsh pressured him to talk to police without legal counsel.

According to San Luis Obispo police, Ivory told them he had been partying that night when one of the players — Ivory did not say which one — suggested taking money from a fraternity member whom the player had previously bought marijuana from. Ivory also said he and Brito allegedly tried to persuade the group not to go through with the deed after the group pulled up to the home, and both walked away, soon getting a ride to a friend's house.

Love will be sentenced Oct. 26.

This story was originally published September 16, 2015 at 6:03 PM with the headline "Third Cal Poly football player pleads no contest in robbery case."

Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER