▪ The Golden State Warriors got back to their usual, dominant selves, with a relatively smooth 104-89 win Thursday night in Oakland. The Splash Brothers barely had to break a sweat — cue the overreactions. Still, it makes you wonder if Cleveland has a shot if — more like when — Steph Curry and Klay Thompson get going. Check out the highlights below.
▪ Turning our attention to the Central Coast, SLO High School’s very own Callum Bolger will attempt to become the county’s first track and field individual state champion since Mission Prep’s Jordan Hasay in 2009 when he competes in the 3,200 meters at the CIF State Track and Field Championships over in Clovis. And if it’s not hot enough for you here, Bolger will have to deal with temps of 100-plus leading up to the race, which was pushed back to a 10:25 p.m. start-time in the hopes of cooler temps. The Tribune Reporter Travis Gibson and photographer Joe Johnston caught up with Bolger during a training session earlier this week, held in Paso Robles in an attempt to acclimate to the heat.
▪ Up the road in Santa Clara, the U.S. national team will kick off the Copa America Centenario, an elite soccer tournament featuring some of the world’s top players from 16 national teams from the Western Hemisphere, with a tough match against Colombia. The Tribune reporter Scott Middlecamp, and big soccer fan, broke it down with a team-by-team guide of the top players to watch.
▪ L.A. Dodgers rookie phenom Julio Urias was roughed up again after being called up — again — this time by the Chicago Cubs. The 19-year-old was touched up for three home runs in a 7-2 Dodgers defeat. Now, the Dodgers brass are reportedly meeting to decide what the team’s next move is with the youngster.
▪ Lastly, if you haven’t noticed, it’s heady times for Bay Area sports fans. You have the aforementioned Copa America. There’s the Warriors in the NBA Finals, with Game 2 set for Sunday. The San Jose Sharks will host their very first Stanley Cup finals game at The Tank on Saturday, in pretty much a must-win Game 3 with the Pittsburgh Penguins enjoying a 2-0 series lead. So break out the chips and dips and get comfortable on the couch, sports fans, you’re in for a heck of a weekend.