Many things need changing in the American electoral system to help ensure greater democratic control and participation. Such as:
▪ Mandatory open primaries for all states should be coded into the U.S. Constitution.
▪ Mandatory automatic voter registration at 18 years of age nationally should be in the Constitution. Other new registrants or those re-registering should have until one week before primary and general elections to do so.
▪ End big money in the system. Public financing for all candidates. Severely limit how much extra money can be raised and for what. Rescind the infamous Citizens United Supreme Court decision.
▪ A reasonable amount of equal free TV time during 120 days before general elections for all presidential candidates on the ballot (maybe lower office candidates as well).
▪ Include all presidential candidates from all parties who get on the ballot in 10 states in the three main presidential debates. No required poll numbers.
▪ End all voter ID laws and other voter suppression methods making it difficult for poorer people to vote.
▪ In the U.S. Constitution, make it relatively easy for alternative parties and candidates to get on and stay on the ballot in all states. End excessive, draconian roadblocks.
These changes are minimal in my opinion. Much more could be said.
Jim Griffin, San Luis Obispo