After endorsing and sending money to Bernie Sanders, I am no longer feeling the Bern for these reasons:
▪ His record on guns is deeply troubling — voting against the Brady bill five times — and his increasingly uncompromising stridency.
▪ The far left would rather endure glorious defeat than compromise their philosophical purity (thus betraying everything they claim to believe).
▪ Lack of substance on core issues — he has no specific plan for implementing Medicare for all, or tuition-free college, raising the danger of unrealistic expectations.
▪ He’s not a committed Democrat — without Congress none of this matters.
▪ Cult of personality — the progressive movement is not about him.
▪ I’m disgusted by the violent tantrums thrown by his supporters and Bernie’s excusing their Donald Trump-like behavior.
▪ He lied about not going negative on Hillary Clinton, raising the terrifying specter of a Trump victory.
▪ And finally, I’m sick of being yelled at. Bernie is the wrong messenger for a good message.
Hillary and Bernie voted the same way most of the time when they both were in the Senate. If she’s not a liberal, neither is he. If Bernie should become the Democratic nominee, I’ll support him. Until then, I’m with Hillary.
M.J. Johnson, San Luis Obispo