On-site jail visits not so easy
In The Tribune’s April 3 article, “Video visiting connects inmates to outside world,” the Sheriff’s Office spokesman said there is no intention of ending on-site visits at the jail. But that is what is now resulting with the new GTL “video visiting system.”
Because a computer is needed, as well as a charge imposed, (I’m already paying exorbitant prices to a third-party carrier to receive phone calls) I opted to visit in person. Tim Olivas is quoted as saying “People can still show up without registering,” but that’s not the case. I made a call to the jail, as well as a personal visit, and was told that I had to open an account and make an appointment.
After showing up with my appointment, I found only six people visiting as opposed to a “full house” previously. The elderly couple in line from Fresno were refused admittance. Patricia Ashbaugh from the county Public Defender’s office said “inmates meeting with their families is critical to their success.” That and an unfavorable report by the Prison Policy Institute regarding these “systems” were apparently not a consideration. To quote Mr. Olivas, “hopefully (the new system) will make (the inmates’) time here a little bit better.” Receiving no visit is not better.
Carol Ortiz, Arroyo Grande
This story was originally published April 5, 2016 at 8:48 PM with the headline "On-site jail visits not so easy."