Righetti High School assistant principal resigns amid sexual misconduct investigation
Righetti High School Assistant Principal Gene Rickman, the subject of an ongoing investigation involving an accusation of misconduct on campus, has resigned and the allegation has been reported to the state.
Rickman submitted his resignation on Wednesday, according to a statement released Thursday by the Santa Maria Joint Union High School District.
The district previously announced the launch of an investigation involving misconduct by two employees on campus on Jan. 31.
Parents of students who witnessed the misconduct said it involved Rickman and an adult male, a coach, engaged in sexual acts in an on-campus office in the evening.
Both varsity and junior varsity cheerleaders allegedly witnessed the activity, which was visible through office windows, with some of the students recording them.
Rickman had been employed by the district since July 1, 2015. He previously worked for the Orcutt Union School District, and has been an educator for three decades.
“The district follows proper reporting procedures in these types of cases, including reporting to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing,” the district statement said.
State law requires districts to report allegations of misconduct to the credentialing agency.
Rickman, whose full name is Floyd Eugene Rickman, has held a teaching credential since 1991 and an administrative services credential since 2007, according to the state website.
A district spokesman said school officials were cooperating with an investigation by the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office.
As of late Thursday afternoon, Rickman’s name had been stripped from the Righetti website. He was one of three assistant principals at the Orcutt campus.
“We have made arrangements to ensure proper administrative coverage so that student instruction and activities are not disrupted,” the district statement said.
The second employee involved in the misconduct served as a walk-on basketball coach and is no longer employed in the district. Additionally, he has been directed not to enter any district facility.
Some parents have expressed anger that another staff member failed to stop the girls from viewing the activity.
“The district is continuing its investigation regarding employees that were not directly involved in the incident,” the district statement said. “While that remains a confidential personnel investigation, if it is determined that misconduct has occurred, the district will take appropriate corrective action.”
The district has made mental health and counseling services available for students in need of any additional support.
Noozhawk North County editor Janene Scully can be reached at jscully@noozhawk.com. Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.