Social media threat locks down 2 SLO County schools
Two high schools in Nipomo were on lockdown Tuesday after Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a social media threat at a school in Orcutt.
A social media threat at St. Joseph’s High School prompted the Nipomo High School and Central Coast New Tech High School campuses to enter a secure-in-place shortly after 10:20 a.m., Amy Jacobs, spokeswoman for the Lucia Mar Unified School District, told The Tribune via email.
“This decision was made in an abundance of caution as authorities conducted an investigation,” Jacobs wrote.
Law enforcement investigated and determined that the treat was unsubstantiated. Before 11 a.m., an all clear notice was issued and students and staff returned to normal instruction, Jacobs wrote.
Earlier in the day, Santa Barbara County sheriff’s deputies swarmed the campuses of both St. Joseph’s and Righetti high schools in Orcutt after receiving a report about a threat.
“Sheriff’s deputies are investigating a threat made on social media at St. Joseph’s High School in Orcutt,” Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Raquel Zick said on Twitter at the time.
Numerous deputies responded to the campuses, which are across the street from each other.
“St. Joseph is currently on lock-out. Deputies are also at the Righetti High School campus, and have requested students and staff shelter in place while they check the school grounds,” Zick said.
By 9:30 a.m., she said deputies had checked both schools “and there is no credible or ongoing threat.”
“Neither school is on lockdown or lockout for this incident any longer,” Zick added.
St. Joe’s Principal Erinn Dougherty said authorities were notified about a threat to the school.
“They secured the campus and did not allow additional persons on campus while investigating. They are still investigating,” she said, adding the incident did not originate from social media.
Righetti Principal Ted Lyon notified parents about the shelter-in-place, adding the campus was not the location of the direct threat.
He added that students could not be released during the shelter-in-place situation for safety reasons.