Cambria Scarecrow Festival: See how the kooky and eclectic scarecrows are made
Key dates have been nailed down for this year’s Cambria Scarecrow Festival, which runs throughout October in Cambria, Harmony and San Simeon.
▪ Friday, Sept. 15: Last day for registering scarecrows to ensure that they will be part of the annual competition for top prizes. Register by selecting the “Participate” button on the main page of www.cambriascarecrows.com and following the instructions.
▪ Saturday, Sept. 30: Deadline to place scarecrows on display. Those not on display by the end of the day cannot be considered for judging. Installation of the festival’s major displays and delivery of rented scarecrows will take place the week of Sept. 25.
▪ Thursday, Oct. 5: Salute to Scarecrows Gala Kickoff, the festival’s annual fundraiser. Prizes will be awarded to winning scarecrows at the event, which includes live music, a silent auction, appetizers and wine. 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Cambria Nursery. Tickets, priced at $35, can be purchased on the scarecrow website or at the Chamber of Commerce office.
▪ Sunday, Oct. 8: Special scarecrows, macaroni and cheese and wine tasting, sponsored by members of the Pacific Coast Wine Trail.
▪ Saturday, Oct. 21: Second annual Cambria Scarecrow 5K Run/Walk to benefit the Cambria Youth Athletic Association. Begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Pinedorado Grounds on Main Street.
▪ Saturday, Oct. 28: OctoberFest An afternoon of beer, wine tasting, brats, live music and more marks the final weekend of the festival. The Cambria Lions Club is co-sponsor for the event, which is set for 11 a.m. at the Pinedorado Grounds.
New features for this year’s festival include displays with solar lights for evening enjoyment and several group displays. Students from Cuesta College were invited to submit a special display, and returning favorites include automated bicyclists (with a new look this year) and 2016’s giant corn stalkers.
A number of old scarecrows have been refurbished for businesses to rent, along with some new creations, with proceeds from the rentals going to the festival’s scholarship fund and grants for local schools’ art programs. Only a few are still available. For information, call 805-395-2399.
Festival details: cambriascarecrows.com.