More than $18,000 was raised for South County residents facing homelessness during the Fiesta at Fin’s fundraiser held at Fin’s seafood restaurant in Grover Beach on Cinco de Mayo.
Money spent by patrons during the fiesta was donated to 5Cities Homeless Coalition by Fin’s owner Bruce Van Vort and his employees, who generously donated their tips as well.
State Parks, 5Cities Homeless Coalition volunteers and a number of local businesses and individuals provided support for the event, including donated raffle prizes, live entertainment and special desserts.
Funds raised will help provide housing and meet immediate financial needs of families who are homeless or facing eviction in the South County, with a portion of the proceeds going to Lucia Mar Unified School District’s Families in Transition program supporting homeless youth.
San Luis Obispo
2016 Hands-on Heroes winners (focused on newborns to 5-year-olds) include:
▪ Children’s Health Hero, Olga Mireles.
▪ Family Support Hero, Marilu Gomez.
▪ Center-Based Early Care & Education Hero, Kari Applegate.
▪ Family Child Care Hero, Carmen Flores.
▪ Volunteer Heroes, Vicki Cyr and Kathy Tyree.
2016 Champions of Youth (focused on all ages) include:
▪ Champion of Youth (youth), Katie Scarry.
▪ Champions of Youth (adult), Jose Rangel and Betian Webb.
The event also included a surprise Champion for Children award presented to the volunteer organization Central Coast Funds for Children.
First 5 of SLO County offers services and resources for children and parents for the first five years of life.