Here is a list of Memorial Day events being held in San Luis Obispo County. All events take place Monday. All are free, not including barbecues that may follow.
▪ A “V” formation of World War II and other military aircraft will perform flyovers during Memorial Day ceremonies: Paso Robles Cemetery, 11 a.m.; Templeton District Cemetery, 11:04 a.m.; Atascadero Cemetery, 11:08 a.m.; Santa Margarita Cemetery, 11:12 a.m.; Los Osos Memorial Park, 11:30 a.m.; and Atascadero “Faces of Freedom” memorial, 11:58 a.m. Sponsored in part by the Estrella Warbirds Museum of Paso Robles, the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The Freedom Flight pilots, crewmembers and owners of the historic aircraft are veterans. 674-2907.
▪ Ceremony: 11 a.m. at the Arroyo Grande Cemetery, 895 El Camino Real. Guest speaker Assemblyman Katcho Achadjian. 489-2475.
▪ Ceremony: 11 a.m. at the Atascadero Cemetery, off Highway 41 at 1 Cemetery Hill Road. Guest speaker Vietnam Veteran Jefferson Burbank. 466-3305.
▪ Ceremony: noon at the “Faces of Freedom” Veterans Memorial, adjacent to Atascadero Lake Park and Charles Paddock Zoo on Highway 41 West. Followed by music and a community barbecue. 466-2044.
▪ Ceremony: 11 a.m. at the Veterans Memorial Building flag stand, 1000 Main St. Ceremony followed by barbecue. 927-3624.
▪ Service in memory of U.S. veterans and those lost at sea: 3 p.m. at the Cayucos Pier. Officiated by the Cayucos-Seaside Rotary Club and Cayucos Lions Club. 720-3173.
▪ Ceremony: 10:30 a.m. at Los Osos Valley Mortuary and Memorial Park, 2260 Los Osos Valley Road. Ceremony will include guest speaker Pastor John Tiffin. Ceremony followed by a barbecue. 528-1500.
▪ Ceremony: 11 a.m. at Paso Robles District Cemetery, 45 Nacimiento Lake Drive. Guest speaker First District Supervisor Frank Mecham, prayers, honor guard and patriotic songs.
▪ Ceremony: 11 a.m. at the Pismo Beach Pier. The ceremony will include keynote speaker United States Marine Corps Force Recon veteran Chad Robichaux, a welcome home of military heroes, presentation of colors by the Pismo Beach Color Guard, a wreath presentation and patriotic readings by Warren Addison. 386-4093.
SAN LUIS OBISPO
▪ The Central Coast Veterans Memorial Museum will be open to the public to honor all veterans. 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Veterans Memorial Building, 801 Grand Ave. Admission to the museum is free. Unveiling of a new interactive exhibit about Medal of Honor recipients. Screenings of local veterans’ stories told in museum interviews for the Library of Congress Veterans History Project. There will be displays honoring service members who remain missing or have been lost in battle. 781-5930.
▪ Ceremony: 11 a.m. at the San Luis Cemetery Mausoleum and Memorial Gardens, 2 Higuera St. The memorial will include a reading of the Gettysburg Address, a reading of the last letter from a Union soldier to his wife titled the Ashokan Farewell, a historical tribute to the American flag, live patriotic music and a 21-gun salute. 441-1405.
▪ Memorial service: 11 a.m., hosted by the Templeton American Legion Post 220 at Templeton District Cemetery, 100 Templeton Road. Ceremony will include acknowledgement of recently deceased local veterans and a 21-gun salute. 434-1402.
Correction: An earlier version of this listing had the incorrect time for the event in Cayucos. The event is at 3 p.m.