Correction: This story has been changed to reflect new information from San Luis Obispo High School Principal Leslie O’Connor, who said the campus was warned but not on lockdown during the incident.
San Luis Obispo High School was on alert Friday morning after being warned by the San Luis Obispo police that a suicidal man allegedly called police and made threatening comments, Principal Leslie O’Connor said.
A 20-year-old Arroyo Grande man allegedly began calling 911 around 8:30 a.m., claiming to be suicidal, according to Sgt. David Nottenkamper of the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office.
After a time, the man’s comments became threatening, Nottenkamper said. He allegedly said he wanted to kill himself in front of children, Nottenkamper said, mentioned Cal Poly and said he would hurt anyone who got in his way.
At one point, at around 10 a.m., the man was thought to be near the high school in San Luis Obispo. Police notified school authorities.
On Saturday, officials with both the Sheriff’s Office and the San Luis Obispo Police Department said the campus was placed on lockdown for about an hour. O’Connor said, however, that a lockdown was not instituted. When police warned the campus resource officer of the situation, the officer and campus officials patrolled the campus and its perimeter were “extra vigilant” until they heard the man had been apprehended, O’Connor said.
Eventually, deputies were able to contact the man on his cell phone and convinced him to go to a local hospital.
The man was then sent to San Luis Obispo County Mental Health Services for treatment, although he was also detained on suspicion of carrying a concealed loaded firearm after officers found a gun in his car.