Local

Atascadero kitchen fire causes $9,500 in damages

A stovetop fire at an Atascadero apartment building on Thursday caused about $9,500 in damage but no one was injured.

Atascadero City Fire responded to a call in the 5500 block of Capistrano Avenue at about 1 p.m. and found the inside of the first-floor apartment filled with smoke and a fire caused by food left cooking on the stove in the kitchen, Capt. Bill White said. Firefighters quickly put out the fire, which burned the stove and wood cabinets, and caused heat and smoke damage to the rest of the apartment, White said.

The fire caused an estimated $8,000 in structural damage and $1,500 in content loss, he said.

  Comments