Once it’s time to take down that Christmas tree, San Luis Obispo County residents have a number of options for recycling or disposing of it.
Residents may have their Christmas tree picked up as part of normal trash pickup. Some trash providers will also schedule a tree pickup on a non-normal trash pickup day through early January. For more information, contact your trash service provider.
The San Luis Obispo County Integrated Waste Management Authority asks residents to cut trees into 4-foot or smaller lengths, and remove any tinsel or stands. Flocked trees and tree parts that are more than 6 inches in diameter will not be accepted. Tree parts should be placed in the home’s green waste can no later than 6 a.m. on the resident’s regular collection day.
Trash service providers and their contact information are listed below:
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Tribune
- Atascadero Waste Alternatives; 466-3636.
- Mission Country Disposal, 528-7430, for residents in Baywood Park, Los Osos and Morro Bay; 927-4995, for Cambria and San Simeon residents; and 995-0817 for Cayucos.
- Mid-State Solid Waste and Recycling, 434-9112 or 1-800-369-1055, for residents in Creston, Pozo, Santa Margarita and select areas of Templeton.
- Paso Robles Waste Disposal, 238-2381, for residents in Paso Robles and select areas of Templeton.
- San Luis Obispo Garbage, 543-0875.
- San Miguel Garbage, 467-9283, for residents in Heritage Ranch, Oak Shores, San Miguel and Shandon.
- South County Sanitary, 489-4246, for residents in Arroyo Grande, Avila Beach, Grover Beach, Nipomo, Oceano and Pismo Beach.
County residents also can drop off their Christmas trees at designated locations listed below:
Located about 6 miles south of the city of San Luis Obispo on Highway 227. Hours of operation are 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. For information, call 549-8332.
Located in Templeton off Highway 41. Open Monday through Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. For information, call 466-2985.
Located 8.5 miles east of Paso Robles off Highway 46 East. Open Monday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Closed Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. For information, call 238-2028.
Located just north of the Santa Barbara County line at 325 Cuyama Lane in Nipomo. Open Monday through Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All drop-offs are transported to the Chicago Grade Landfill. For information, call 922-9255.