Anonymous donor gives Los Osos man a kidney

Jules Hock
Jules Hock

A 77-year-old Los Osos man suffering from a deteriorating kidney was saved in the nick of time by generosity of an anonymous donor.

Jules Hock, a man the Tribune reported on in July, was facing a 5 year wait before he would become eligible for a donation. It was a wait that could have cost him his life. Hock chose to reach out to the public though the Tribune in the hopes a donor would emerge. Fortunately, one did, and now Hock is healthy and recovering ahead of schedule.

The donor, a Los Osos woman who preferred to remain anonymous, came forward after reading about Hock in The Tribune. Hock said that what she did for him was an act of kindness the likes of which he’d never seen.

“She did it out of the truest sense of altruism,” he said. “She's an absolutely incredible lady who did it just because it was the right thing to do.”

Back in July, Hock’s health was quickly deteriorating and his doctors warned that he would need to go on dialysis to stay alive. That was when Hock decided to go public.

“I felt like I needed to take charge of my own life,” he said. “I knew that unless I found a live donor I didn't have a chance.”

Hock’s perseverance paid off.  On August 14, exactly one month after the article was published, and coincidentally Hock’s birthday, he received an email from a young woman who read the story and wanted to help. Hock’s wife Brenda, 62, said they had offered the donor favors and other forms of compensation but turned them all down. She likened the donor’s appearance to a miracle.

“I can’t say enough about her,” She said. “She gave us this gift and she doesn’t want anything. She told us that this was her purpose.”

 The operation took place at the California Pacific Medical Center in San Francisco and lasted 3½ hours. Hock is currently on his way to a full recovery.

“He’s doing fantastically,” Brenda said. “It’s amazing how he’s transformed from someone who was dying into someone who is now healthy.”

As an avid fan of Cal Poly men’s basketball, Hock attends every practice in spite of his declining health. Brenda said that Hock had been managing his condition for so long that he had forgotten what it was like to be healthy. She said that she hasn’t seen him in such high spirits in years.

“Now he can go back to doing what makes him happy. It was a confluence of miracles, and it all started with an article in the Tribune.”