New landslide on Big Sur coast expands Hwy. 1 closure near Paul’s Slide
The Highway 1 closure at Paul’s Slide, which starts about 20 miles north of the Monterey County line, has gotten about 8 miles bigger on its northern edge thanks to a new landslide.
“Due to active slide activity, the northern closure on Highway 1, previously located at Paul’s Slide at Post Mile 22, has moved north to 1.7 miles north of the Big Creek Bridge at Post Mile 29.7,” according to Kevin Drabinski, a spokesman for the state road agency.
“There is as yet no estimated time for reopening,” he said. “Caltrans and contracted crews are on site to clear debris and stabilize the hillside above the roadway.”
That’s a potential blow to businesses who serve people who want to drive the world-renowned roadway and those who live along the affected area.
Earlier this week, Drabinski said that, despite the fierce storm that lashed much of California’s coastal areas on Saturday, the long closure of the popular route between San Simeon and Carmel was expected to end sometime in late spring. That’s been the estimated reopening date for some time.
For further updates on road conditions, go to the social medial platforms for Caltrans District: Twitter at: @CaltransD5, Facebook at: Caltrans Central Coast (District 5) and Instagram at: Caltrans_D5.
This story was originally published February 8, 2024 at 11:54 AM.