Local

Couch fire in SLO motel room sends 1 person to the hospital

A person was taken to the emergency room for smoke inhalation after a couch caught on fire inside a motel room in San Luis Obispo on Wednesday, September 27, 2017.
A person was taken to the emergency room for smoke inhalation after a couch caught on fire inside a motel room in San Luis Obispo on Wednesday, September 27, 2017.

A man was taken to the emergency room for smoke inhalation after a couch caught fire inside a motel room in San Luis Obispo on Wednesday, according to the San Luis Obispo Fire Department.

At 3:57 p.m., authorities received a 911 call from a person who reported that smoke could be seen coming from a single-unit room at the Economy Motel in the 600 block of Morro Street.

Battalion Chief Bob Bisson said the fire burned the couch and some of the flooring. The room’s occupant was treated on scene for smoke inhalation but later taken by ambulance to a local hospital.

“We don’t know the exact cause at this point,” Bisson said, adding that the fire marshal remained on scene to investigate Wednesday evening.

  Comments