Chimney Fire expected to be 100 percent contained Tuesday
With full containment of the Chimney Fire near Lake Nacimiento expected Tuesday morning, control lines were further strengthened around the fire’s perimeter even as more crews were released.
A total of 736 personnel were still working the fire Monday morning, but that number was expected to drop to 622 by the end of the day, Cal Fire spokesman Bennet Milloy said. The 46,344-acre fire remained 97 percent contained Monday, and the fire’s forward spread had been stopped for more than 72 hours.
“They’re trying to wrap it up,” Milloy said of the fire personnel still on the scene. “They’ve improved the control lines but don’t want to prematurely call it contained.
“There are several hot spots that are so interior that they’re not a threat to the perimeter,” he added, such as “a stump smoldering in an ash pile that won’t start another fire.”
A large demobilization that started over the weekend continued Monday. After full containment is reached, all of the personnel will be released and local Cal Fire units will continue working in the area to repair damage to roads and to prevent potential future runoff into streams or other waterways.
The Chimney Fire destroyed 49 residences and 21 other structures, and damaged eight others.
Cynthia Lambert: 805-781-7929, @ClambertSLO
This story was originally published September 5, 2016 at 3:45 PM with the headline "Chimney Fire expected to be 100 percent contained Tuesday."