Dolan Fire near Big Sur burns more than 20,000 acres, remains 10% contained
The Dolan Fire near Big Sur continued to spread six days after it began, burning 20,091 acres as of Monday morning, according to a news release from the U.S. Forest Service.
An infrared flight Sunday night allowed for updated mapping, showing 500 acres of growth since Sunday evening, according to the release.
The Dolan Fire was actively burning between Limekiln State Park and Julie Pfeiffer Burns State Park, about 10 miles south of Big Sur.
The wildfire is believed to have been intentionally set Tuesday night. Ivan Geronimo Gomez, a 30-year-old Fresno man,was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of starting the Dolan Fire, according to the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office Facebook post.
As of Monday morning, the fire remained at 10% containment.
Highway 1 remained closed Monday near mile marker 38 at Troy Canyon in the north and at Hermitage south of the fire, according to the U.S. Forest Service.
The fire continued to threatened the communities of Hermitage, Partington Ridge and Lucia, where evacuation orders remained in place. Multiple businesses and recreational sites were also threatened as of Monday morning.
Along with communities and businesses, the U.S. Forest Service said threatened and endangered species including California condors are in danger as the fire nears the Ventana Wilderness and coastal watershed areas.
Overnight crews completed an “indirect handline” around the Lucia, Morning Glory and Parington communities, increasing protection for structures in that area, according to the release.
A total of 579 firefighters were on the scene Monday morning, with 42 engines, nine hand crews, six dozers, six water tenders, four helicopters and one fixed-wing plane, the U.S. Forest Service reported.
Crews were expected to construct more indirect lines Monday, according to the release. As crews battle the flames, rolling rocks and spot fires, particularly along Highway 1, remains a safety concern, the U.S. Forest Service said in the release.
Although the fire grew overnight, cloudy and cooler weather Sunday helped slow the spread of fire and smoke. There is however a slight chance of thunderstorms Monday, which could lead to more fires, according to the U.S. Forest Service.
A National Weather Service Red Flag warning that was in effect Sunday was canceled by Monday morning due to improved air quality and visibility, the news release said.
A potential break in thick smoke will allow for air resources to drop fire retardant and water buckets, according to the release.
As the smoke cleared near the Dolan Fire, air quality in San Luis Obispo County improved from last week’s dangerously smoky conditions.
Air quality throughout the county was expected to be moderate on Monday, according to the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District.
Other Monterey County fires
The Carmel Fire, about 50 miles north of the Dolan Fire, had burned 6,695 acres by Monday morning, with no further growth overnight, according to Cal Fire.
The fire in Carmel Valley was 15% contained with full containment expected by September 6, according to Cal Fire.
Cloudy weather and increased humidity in Monterey County helped firefighters gain progress.
However, a Red Flag warning for dry lightning and gusty winds — with the potential of 65 mile per hour wind gusts — remained in affect Monday until 5 p.m., according to Cal Fire.
The Carmel Fire destroyed 51 structures, damaged 12 and continued to threaten more than 13,000 as of Monday morning, Cal Fire reported.
Cal Fire had assessed about 54% of the damaged buildings as of Monday morning. According to the agency’s investigation, 35 of the destroyed structures were homes, while 16 were minor structures.
A Red Flag warning in the Salinas area was also set to remain in affect until Monday at 5 p.m. due to thunderstorms and windy conditions, according to Cal Fire.
The River Fire, south of Salinas, held overnight, according to Cal Fire. As of Monday morning, 48,424 acres had burned.
The fire was 23% contained and also expected to reach full containment by September 6, according to Cal Fire.
Cal Fire reported that firefighters were able to reinforce fire containment lines overnight because of minimal fire activity. The fire continued to burn pockets of vegetation as firefighters put out smoldering areas near structures, according to Cal Fire.
As of Monday morning, 21 structures were destroyed, eight of which were homes, according to Cal Fire.
Nine additional structures were damaged and 6,305 were continued to be threatened by the fire, according to Cal Fire.
Cal Fire said their damage inspection is about 52% complete.
How to help fire victims
Thousands of people have had to evacuate due to the fires in Monterey County, and many are unsure when or if they will be able to return home.
The Community Foundation for Monterey County created a Monterey County Fire Relief Fund to help those affected by the Dolan, River and Salinas fires. Donations can be made online, via phone at 831-375-9712 or by mail at Community Foundation for Monterey County, 2354 Garden Road, Monterey, CA 93940. (Make checks payable to the foundation and note “Monterey County Fire Relief,” “Carmel Valley Relief” or “Big Sur Relief” in the memo line.)
Supplies can also be donated directly at Seaside High School, 2200 Noche Buena St. in Seaside, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Additional volunteer and donation information can be found at MontereyCo.Recovers.org.
This story was originally published August 24, 2020 at 11:40 AM.