A record 36 gold medals were awarded in this year’s California Mid-State Fair Home Wine Competition, which drew 154 entries.
“The quality of the wines submitted was far superior this year than any other” year, said Mike Jones, Home Winemaking coordinator, in a news release.
Winners also have been announced for the Central Coast Olive Oil Competition.
Here’s a closer look at the results:
Home Wine Competition Best-Of’s were awarded to:
▪ Best of Show and Best Sparkling: Chuck Strickland, Templeton, pinot noir
▪ Best of Dessert Wine: Richard Prokop, Atascadero, cabernet port
▪ Best of Pink Wine: Steven Baker, Paso Robles, granacha
▪ Best of Red Wine: Michael Cullinan, Hollister, petite sirah
In the Central Coast Olive Oil Competition, 117 olive oils from 39 farms were entered from across California, according to a news release.
Best of Show awards were presented to:
▪ Best of Show Delicate: The Olive Press, Sonoma, Mission
▪ Best of Show Medium: Halter Ranch Vineyard, Paso Robles, Leccino, Frantoio, Pendolino, Maurino, Picual
▪ Best of Show Robust: The Olive Press, Sonoma, Picual
A full list of results from the Home Wine Competition is available at the California Mid-State Fair’s website. The winning entries will be on display at Estrella Hall during the California Mid-State Fair from July 20 to 31, where fairgoers can vote for their favorite label.
The winning oils will also be featured at the California Mid-State Fair and at the Lodi Grape Festival in September.
Submit news and notes items for Biz Buzz. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; on Twitter @SLOBizBuzz; phone: 781-7902; fax: 781-7905; mail: Biz Buzz, The Tribune, P.O. Box 112, San Luis Obispo, CA 93406-0112.