So you know about Bubblegum Alley. And, yeah, you can cite a few of the famous people who stayed at Hearst Castle or the Madonna Inn. But as far as local trivia goes, those are easy. No-brainers. Pieces of cake.
But try these: Can you name which drummer won a Grammy while serving time for murder at the California Men’s Colony?
What connection do Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio have to the county?
The answers to these questions and more can be found in The Tribune’s San Luis Obispo County Pop Culture Quiz. Test your savvy.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
1. SLO native Walter Morrison invented what toy?
2. San Luis Obispo was the first city in the nation to pass this clean-air ordinance.
3. What former “Monday Night Football” broadcaster played football for Cal Poly?
4. What cartoon character mistook the Arabian desert for Pismo Beach in an episode titled “Ali Baba Bunny”?
5. What comedy duo was on hand for the opening of the Fremont Theatre in San Luis Obispo?
6. What actor sported a Templeton Eagles letterman jacket in “No Country for Old Men?”
7. What famous aviator stopped at Cal Poly in 1935 to have a Boeing 100 aircraft repaired by aeronautical engineering students?
8. The set for what Cecil B. DeMille silent epic is buried beneath the Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes?
9. What famous pair spent their first night as husband and wife in Paso Robles?
10. What patented color was developed in San Luis Obispo?
11. What fitness guru lived in Morro Bay until his death in 2011?
12. This “High School Musical” actor grew up in Arroyo Grande.
13. What game show host once owned a horse ranch and vineyard in the North County?
14. What Steve Martin movie was filmed in different locations around the county?
15. What 1950s movie star and heartthrob crashed his sports car and died in Cholame?
16. What former Cal Poly architecture student recorded his first musical parody hit in the men’s bathroom of the school’s graphic arts building?
17. What baseball Hall of Famer played college ball at Cal Poly?
18. Notorious serial killer Edmund Kemper once stayed at what SLO County facility?
19. What heavyweight boxer who fought the likes of Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier and Floyd Patterson lived in Templeton until his death?
20. What famous “The Incredible Hulk” actor lives in Arroyo Grande?
21. What spine-tingling movie was filmed in Cambria?
22. Name the founder of Scientology, who died in Creston.
23. What business known for its smoothies was started in San Luis Obispo?
24. What Sue Grafton mystery novel is set in a thinly disguised Avila Beach?
25. During the Cold War, what Russian premier traveled through SLO County by train?
26. Local librarian Jay Asher wrote this bestselling young-adult novel about a suicidal teenager.
27. Disney film crews built a 52-foot lighthouse in Montaña de Oro State Park while filming this movie about a boy and his scaly best friend.
28. The creator of this famous green claymation character called Los Osos home until his death in 2010.
29. What U.S. presidents have stopped in San Luis Obispo?
30. On what city was Catherine Ryan Hyde’s bestselling novel, “Pay It Forward,” based?
31. CMC inmates have included:
This former Dallas Cowboy star from the 1970s
This disgraced financier. He wrote a personal finance column for the prison newspaper.
This famous soul performer
This rap mogul
This rock drummer (he won a Grammy while serving time for murder)
This ’60s icon. He escaped while serving time on a drug offense.
This still-incarcerated Manson Family member
32. What ’80s action movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger was filmed in San Simeon?
33. What Kirk Douglas movie about the Roman Empire was filmed at Hearst Castle’s Neptune Pool?
34. What early Ryan Gosling movie was filmed in San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay and Montaña de Oro?
35. What pop performer got his start as a Cal Poly student playing at Linnaea’s Café in San Luis Obispo?
36. What legendary professional skateboarder calls Cayucos home?
37. A stuntman was killed during the filming of this Bruce Willis action movie at the Oceano Dunes.
38. This former Yes frontman recorded a live album at the Fremont movie theater.
39. What San Francisco Giants broadcaster lives in San Luis Obispo in the offseason?
40. What Lindsay Lohan movie — filmed in San Luis Obispo and Morro Bay — won a whopping eight Golden Raspberry (Razzie) Awards?