We suggest the following format when submitting an obituary. This is suggested as a guideline, but all submissions are welcomed. We will gladly work with you on editing and creating a meaningful obituary.
- Personal information: Name, age, city and state of birth (please do not provide the exact date of birth, which increases the chance of identity theft).
- Date and location of death.
- What made them special: Education, military, career, clubs, organizations, church, hobbies, and special interests.
- Survivors: Separate relationship in “levels” rather than “families” — spouse; children (spouse); grandchildren (spouse); siblings; etc.
- Preceded in death by: Optional.
- Service information:
- Viewing (if appropriate) will be from (time) on (day) at (place) in (city, state).
- A (memorial, Mass, service, celebration of life) will be held at (time of day, day of week) at (funeral home, church, park, etc.) in (city, state) with burial at (cemetery name, city).
Donations: Flower and/or memorial donation information.
Rates and Fees
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Tribune
- $6.35 per line: (a line is about 25 characters.)
Included: Obituaries will be available digitally for 30 days on Lecacy.com, with the Guestbook available for 14 days.
Included: A single photo. Note: Provide a CLEAR, front shot, with no shadows or sunglasses, and a good contrast to the background in JPG format, with at least a 300 dpi. Photos will be cropped to highlight just the face.
- Two photos (then & now): $140
Multiple publish discount: A 50% discount for a second or subsequent publishing date within 6 months; Tribune, Cambrian, Neighbors of the Central Coast, or Celebrations.
Submissions/Copy is due by 12 noon for following publication day, Tues-Sat. Submission/Copy for Sun, Mon is due by 12 noon Friday.
Final approval and payment due by 2 p.m. for following publication day, Tue-Sat. Final approval and payment due by 2 p.m. Friday for Sun, Mon.
The Cambrian is a weekly publication, publishing on Thursday. Submissions are due Monday by 12 noon. Final approval and payment due by 2 p.m. Monday.
How to submit
Submit obituary and photo via email to email@example.com.
Note: All submissions will be edited for format and a proof will be provided for your approval. The customer will then need to review the final proof before publication and deadline. The obituary will NOT publish without your approval and payment.
Important: When submitting an obituary, please include your contact name, address and phone number where you can be reached during the day. As well as the publication date requested.
All obituaries MUST be approved and paid for prior to publication. All proofing of obituaries can be done through email, or if you wish, come into our office during office hours.
For your convenience we can accept credit card and check payments over the phone, or in person at our office: 3825 S. Higuera Street, San Luis Obispo
The Tribune would like to extend our condolences for your loss. It is our desire to assist you in creating a lasting written remembrance of your loved one. We are happy to help you at all levels in writing or editing your obituary.
Shelley Doyle, Obituary Editor: 805-781-7834, firstname.lastname@example.org