San Luis Obispo Triathlon fun for all
Accomplished distance runner Van McCarty added another victory to his already impressive athletic résumé Sunday afternoon.
The 45-year-old San Luis Obispo resident and five-time Ironman World Championships qualifier won the 37th annual SLO Triathlon, completing the short course competition in 1 hour, 10 minutes, 55 seconds.
The short course triathlon consisted of a half-mile swim at the SLO Swim Center, a 15-mile bike ride and a 3.1-mile run.
San Luis Obispo’s Jonathan Harmse, 31, finished second in 1:13:27, and 21-year-old Kevin Clack of Yorba Linda placed third in 1:14:39. San Luis Obispo’s Scott Machado, 46, crossed the finish line fourth in 1:16:06, and Matt Nottenkamper, 21, of Paso Robles, was fifth in 1:16:08.
In the women’s competition, 26-year-old San Luis Obispo resident Kaori Funahashi, the runner-up in 2015, finished first in 1:20:18. Her time was the 18th-fastest overall in a field that drew more than 550 participants.
Katie Tierney, 25, of Paso Robles, finished second in 1:26:50. Santa Maria’s Leslie Miller, 31, was third in 1:27:20, and Roxanne Smith, a 24-year-old San Luis Obispo resident, placed fourth in 1:28:15.
37th annual SLO Triathlon
Men’s top finishers
1. Van McCarty, San Luis Obispo, 1:10:55
2. Jonathan Harmse, San Luis Obispo, 1:13:27
3. Kevin Clack, Yorba Linda, 1:14:39
4. Scott Machado, San Luis Obispo, 1:16:06
5. Matt Nottenkamper, Paso Robles, 1:16:08
Women’s top finishers
1. Kaori Funahashi, San Luis Obispo, 1:20:18
2. Katie Tierney, Paso Robles, 1:26:50
3. Leslie Miller, Santa Maria, 1:27:20
4. Roxanne Smith, San Luis Obispo, 1:28:15
5. Kelly O’Sullivan, Arroyo Grande, 1:31:22