The Oct. 30 letter “Dr. Ben Carson is viable” fails to provide some troubling positions held by Dr. Carson. Yes, he should be commended for rising out of poverty to become a successful surgeon. However, one questions his presidential viability when he states the following:
l. Obamacare is the worst thing since slavery. It’s not about health care, but making us subservient to government.
2. Hitler could happen in the U.S. today. It has to do with our thoughts and speech now being controlled.
3. Women who get abortions are like slaveholders.
4. Jews could have prevented the Holocaust if their guns hadn’t been confiscated.
5. College campuses should be monitored and censored for advocating liberal political speech.
6. Being gay is a choice because prisons turn people gay.
7. Obama is depressing the economy to keep people on welfare.
8. Obama signed immigration reform to bring in government-dependent voters.
9. Our tax system should be based on Biblical tithing.
10. A Muslim should not be president of the U.S. (The Constitution prohibits religious testing.)
11. Congress should be able to remove judges for voting for marriage equality.
These statements came from Dr. Carson himself, not “dug up” by the left to demean his character.
Beryl Bennett, Morro Bay