Twelve stores were caught selling tobacco to minors in a compliance sting run by the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office.
Using underage decoys, the Sheriff’s Office targeted businesses in unincorporated areas of the county.
The following stores were cited:
- Kachi Tobacco on the 500 block of Tefft Street in Nipomo;
- La Placita Market on the 500 block of Orchard Avenue in Nipomo;
- Los Berros Market on the 2000 block of Los Berros Road in Arroyo Grande;
- Los Osos Liquor on the 2000 block of 10th Street in Los Osos;
- Margarita Plaza Liquor on the 22000 block of El Camino Real in Santa Margarita;
- Santa Margarita Mercantile on the 22000 block of G Street in Santa Margarita;
- Shandon Market on the 200 block of East Centre Street in Shandon;
- A-1 Liquors on the 100 block of South Main Street in Templeton;
- Cambria Chevron on the 2100 block of Main Street in Cambria;
- Old Cambria Marketplace on the 500 block of Main Street in Cambria;
- Central Market on the 2000 block of Cienega Street in Oceano; and
- Mission Market and Deli on the 1400 block of Mission Street in San Miguel.
Selling tobacco to a minor is a misdemeanor punishable by a $1,000 fine for a first offense and possible suspension of the retailer’s ability to sell tobacco.