A 24-year-old Santa Maria man accused of attempting to rape a teenage girl in Arroyo Grande last year has been linked to a 2006 rape case in the Los Angeles area, according to local court documents.
Fernando Frias has pleaded not guilty to the alleged kidnapping and assault of a then 17-year-old girl in Arroyo Grande on May 26, 2010. He also has pleaded not guilty to the new rape charge in the L.A. case.
A DNA match linked him to a pending rape case investigated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department five years ago, according to investigative reports.
That incident took place on June 4, 2006. The female victim told investigators that she was raped by two men while walking on Broadway Avenue in Los Angeles.
According to the L.A. Sheriff’s report, the men confronted her and pulled her into an alley, threatening to kill her.
Before she could use her cell phone to call for help, they beat her and took turns raping her.
The DNA match from a law enforcement database, allegedly matched a sample Frias provided after his local arrest, according to a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department report.
In the Arroyo Grande case, a teen girl said she feared Frias was going to rape her after he hit her at least three times with a rock after throwing her to the bed of Arroyo Grande Creek near the Fair Oaks Avenue bridge. A passerby intervened and scared Frias away.
The District Attorney’s Office has filed a motion to consolidate both cases in San Luis Obispo Superior Court.
Frias is scheduled to appear next before Judge Barry LaBarbera’s court on Nov. 28.