One of Cambria’s main attractions is the temperate weather we enjoy all year round. A study of Cambria’s weather pattern has been put together utilizing the past 17 years of temperature data as recorded at the Wastewater Treatment Plant in Park Hill and reported weekly in the Cambrian. This information, combined with a subjective evaluation of the type of day that Cambria experiences, (sunny, partly sunny, cloudy and rainy) contributes to the following report. A clear day is defined as clear skies from early morning to sunset. A partial clear day means that the fog or clouds clear out during the day, followed by sunshine for the remainder of the day (or vice versa).
Since this evaluation is conducted at or near the ocean, where fog and low clouds are more prevalent than in all other parts of town, the temperatures and weather information reflect lower temperatures than one might expect to see across the many microclimates within Cambria. The weather year starts in July and ends in June. (Weather year 2015 began in July, 2014 and ended in June, 2015.)
Answers appear at the end of the column.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to The Tribune
1. How many days does the sun set in Cambria after 8 p.m.?
- A. 58 days
- B. 68 days
- C.78 days
- D.88 days
2. What is the average rainfall that Cambria has recorded during the summer months (July, August and September) over the past 17 years?
- A.1/4 inch — 1 rainy day
- B.1 inch — 3 rainy days
- C.2 inches — 5 rainy days
- D.more than 2 inches — 8 rainy days
3. Which month(s) reflects the most number of days that Cambria has fog at some point during the daylight hours??
- C.May and June
- D.July and August
4. By how many degrees does the average high temperature for Cambria vary between summer and winter seasons?
- A.7 degrees
- B.9 degrees
- C.11 degrees
- D.13 degrees
5. Which summer month(s) has the highest temperature?
- A. July
- C. September
- D. Both July and August
From May 13 through Aug. 8, the sun sets after 8 p.m. in Cambria. This late sunset provides close to three months (88 days) for daylight evening activities.
We can expect very little rain, if any, over the summer months. Over the past 17 years, Cambria has averaged one rainy day with a token accumulation of a quarter inch.
Even though locals refer to “Gray May” and “June Gloom” when discussing the weather, it is a fact that Cambria experiences 25 days of some fog during the day during each of the months of July and August as compared with an average of 19 days during May and June.
July and August reflect Cambria’s highest average temperature at 67 degrees. September and October average 65 degrees. Our winter average high is 59. There’s only a seven-degree temperature difference between the average highs in summer and winter.
Weather conditions for an average week during the summer season:
- 2 days per week — Clear, sunny days.
- 4 days per week — Early-morning fog, followed by partial clearing and sun.
- 1 day per week — No sun (cloudy and foggy all day).
Weather Quiz answers: D, A, D, A, D