About 250 people turned out Saturday morning, Nov. 13, on a sparkling day to celebrate the acquisition of the 437-acre Fiscalini Ranch Preserve as public open space on Nov. 16, 2000.
The $11.1 million purchase — mostly state funded but with millions donated locally — ensured hundreds of homes would never be built on the land at the heart of a horseshoe of Cambria neighborhoods.
‘The Ranch’ is owned and managed by the Cambria Community Services District, with a conservation easement held by The Friends of the Fiscalini Ranch Preserve (ffrpcambria.org).
Saturday’s celebration included a sing-a-long of ‘This Land Is Your Land’ with a school chorus led by Kit Hansen. High school Interact Club members and middle school members of Mark Kniffen’s Leadership Class assisted in directing ribbon holders reenacting the ‘hands across The Ranch’ event 10 years ago, symbolizing how individuals joining together can cover a lot of ground.
Many participants held paper hands made by Cambria Grammar School students in April Benham’s, Joe Sassaman’s and Sarah Moore’s classes.
The 10th anniversary committee included Kathy Lindberg, Peggy Christianson, Pam Miller, Cathy Stern, Alese Bell and Jo Ellen Butler.
Many people signed a memory book of the event. Anyone wishing to contribute words, drawings or photos to the book can e-mail their contribution to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to FFRP, P.O. Box 1664, Cambria CA 93428, by Dec. 1.