The Cambrian

Developer fishing for recommendation on Rod & Reel property

The architect of Cypress Residences—a three-phase project that would convert a closed and chained-off Main Street mobile-home park into a development of 16 homes — said he’ll attend an upcoming advisory council meeting to explain the plan.

David Brown, who has redesigned the project for property owner Steve Miller of Cayucos, said in a March 29 interview he’ll be at the April 21 North Coast Advisory Council meeting to answer questions raised during the council’s March meeting. Miller appears to have the property up for sale, according to a sign on the chain-link fence on the nearly 3-acre property, which is next to the Old Cambria Grammar School.

In March, council members said they were confused about recent submissions from the county on how the former Rod and Reel Mobile Home Park, 1460 Main Street, would be revamped. Advisors said changes, dates and data in the documents didn’t seem to match, and they were unsure which ones were valid.

“I think it’s a pig in a poke,” said member Dawn Dunlap.

For instance, county planners say 15 percent of on-site units must provide affordable housing to replace that which was lost when the mobile-home park was closed. However, the current plans call for four affordable housing units to be located off-site, and apparently none are within the project itself.

Council members agreed to submit some recommendations on the project, but declined to support or turn down the redesign because of the paperwork’s lack of clarity. They also asked that a project representative attend the council’s April meeting.

Member Jim Bahringer said that while project representatives usually present their cases before the Land Use Committee, “the council as a whole hasn’t seen the plans, and it needs to.”

The committee will review any additional information and documents about the project at its April 12 meeting at 7 p.m. and then forward an updated recommendation to the full council for review during a public hearing on Wednesday, April 21. That meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. at Rabobank, 1070 Main St.

Four years ago, NCAC members gave Miller unanimous approval to replace the mobile home park with 13 Cape Cod-style homes of up to 1,900 square feet each, five apartments, 45 parking spaces and 10,000 square feet of office space. As part of the project, approximately 1.3 acres of permanent open space would be dedicated.

The design has changed since then. For instance, as required by county planners, the project is now set back 50 feet from Santa Rosa Creek, rather than the previous 25 feet.

Brown said they are still negotiating with the California Coastal Commission, which had concerns about how Miller closed the mobile- home park.

  Comments