Here is a listing of Memorial Day events around SLO County. All events take place Monday (unless otherwise specified). All are free, not including barbecues that may follow.
- A “V” formation of World War II and other military aircraft will perform flyovers during Memorial Day ceremonies held Monday: Paso Robles Cemetery 11.a.m., Templeton District Cemetery 11:04, Atascadero Cemetery 11:08, Santa Margarita Cemetery 11:14; Los Osos Memorial Park 11:30; Atascadero “Faces of Freedom” memorial 12:10 p.m. Sponsored in part by the Estrella Warbirds Museum of Paso Robles, the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. The Freedom Flight pilots, crew members and owners of these historic aircraft are all veterans, organizers said. The planes may also be viewed during visiting hours at the museum’s Hangar One Exhibit, 4251 Dry Creek Road, Paso Robles. For more information, call George Marrett at 674-2907.
- Ceremony 10:30 a.m. at the Arroyo Grande Cemetery, 895 El Camino Real, Arroyo Grande.
- Ceremony 11 a.m. at the Atascadero Cemetery, off Highway 41 at 1 Cemetery Hill Road, Atascadero.
- Ceremony noon at the “Faces of Freedom” Veterans Memorial, adjacent to the Atascadero Lake Park and Charles Paddock Zoo on Highway 41 West. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ceremony 11 a.m., Veterans Memorial Flag Stand, 1000 Main St., Cambria. Recital of Gettysburg Address by Jim Wilson, presentation of Mel McCulloch Merchant of the Year award to Jennifer and Harvey Smith of Harvey’s Honey Huts, songs by men’s chorale, remarks by American Legion Post No. 432 Cmdr. Brian Griffin. Ceremony followed by barbecue, $5.
- Ceremony in memory of U.S. Veterans and those lost at sea. 3 p.m. at Cayucos Pier. Officiated by the Cayucos-Seaside Rotary Club and Cayucos Lions Club. Pre-ceremony event at 2:45 p.m., placing memorial bell on permanent memorial on the Pier Plaza.
- Ceremony 11 a.m. at Los Osos Valley Mortuary & Memorial Park, 2260 Los Osos Valley Road, Los Osos. San Luis Obispo County Band will perform for half hour before ceremony. Just In Time Skydivers will skydive into park with American flag. Guest speaker Peter Starlings, a U.S. Army veteran of the Vietnam War. Barbecue lunch provided by Bay Osos Kiwanis Club to follow ceremony.
- Ceremony 11 a.m. at Paso Robles District Cemetery, 45 Nacimiento Lake Drive.
- Memorial Day Ceremony. 11 a.m. at the Pismo Beach Pier. Guest speaker Col. David Cramer.
- Memorial services. 11 a.m. at Templeton District Cemetery, 100 Templeton Road.
San Luis Obispo
- “White Table of Remembrance” exhibit honoring service members from all wars whose military status is listed as missing, unaccounted for or in captivity will premiere at the Central Coast Veterans Memorial Museum from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission is free.
- “Veterans Remembrance” service, co-sponsored by American Legion Post 66 and Wheeler/Smith Mortuary. 11 a.m. San Luis Obispo Cemetery, 2890 South Higuera St., San Luis Obispo.
- Ceremony 10:30 a.m. at Santa Margarita Cemetery, one mile east of Santa Margarita on Highway 58.