An Oceano homeowner using a torch while doing plumbing repairs caused a fire in the attic of his garage on Saturday morning.
Five Cities Fire Authority responded at about 8:31 a.m. to reports of smoke coming out of the roof and attic areas of a garage in the 2400 block of Mona Lei Court in Oceano.
With heavy smoke hampering their vision, firefighters cut away portions of the garage wall to get at the fire burning around and in the ceiling insulation, fire department spokesman Peter Klein said.
“The attic was completely filled with smoke,” Klein said. The fire did not spread to the home.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Firefighters put out the fire, pulled out insulation, burned drywall and other materials to prevent re-ignition. No injuries were reported and there was no estimate of the cost of the damage, Klein said.