Local

Woman rescued from apartment fire in SLO

San Luis Obispo City Fire paramedics and firefighters prepare to load a woman suffering from smoke inhalation into an ambulance Friday. The woman was rescued from a fire in a second-story apartment on Madonna Road in San Luis Obispo.
San Luis Obispo City Fire paramedics and firefighters prepare to load a woman suffering from smoke inhalation into an ambulance Friday. The woman was rescued from a fire in a second-story apartment on Madonna Road in San Luis Obispo.

Food left unattended while cooking on a stove caused an apartment fire Friday afternoon in the 1500 block of Madonna Road in San Luis Obispo.

Firefighters received a call about a fire at 5:24 p.m. and arrived on scene three minutes later to find smoke coming out of a second-floor apartment and the downstairs door locked, San Luis Obispo fire Battalion Chief Bob Bisson said.

Firefighters used a ladder to climb through the second-floor window into the apartment, where they found a woman on the floor, semiconscious from smoke inhalation, he said.

The woman, who was home alone, was taken to a local hospital by paramedics while firefighters put out the blaze.

Damage to the apartment was minimal, Bisson said. The condition of the woman was unknown Friday evening.

  Comments