Local

House fire in Paso Robles caused by wood-burning stove

UPDATE 3 p.m.: An unattended wood-burning stove caused the fire that displaced a family of five in Paso Robles on Wednesday morning, according to the Paso Robles Fire Department.

Investigators determined that the fire originated in the living room adjacent to a wood-burning stove. Radiant and conducted heat from the stove caused a pile of dry, split pine to ignite and spread to the living room. The occupant reported starting a fire in the stove at approximately 7:20 a.m., but the fire was left unattended.

The living room, kitchen and a bedroom of the single-story, three-bedroom home were damaged in the fire. The property, which was estimated to be worth $280,000, received approximately $98,000 worth of damage. Additionally, $80,000 worth of content in the home was lost, investigators estimated.

The American Red Cross is providing housing assistance to the family.

It is not safe to leave an unattended fire burning in a fireplace or wood burning stove, and fireplace wood should be stored at least 18 inches away from a fireplace, the news release said.

Original story: A fire displaced a family of five in Paso Robles on Wednesday morning, but no one was injured, according to the Paso Robles Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the residential fire in the 200 block of San Augustine Drive on the west side of Paso Robles at 8:22 a.m. The home was engulfed with smoke, and flames were seen coming from the front door, front window and the roof, according to a news release.

Firefighters stretched fire-attack hose lines inside the home to control the fire while searching the house for occupants, and found that no one was home. The fire was contained by 8:38 a.m.

The living room, kitchen and one bedroom of the single-story, three-bedroom home were damaged in the fire. The estimated cost of damage is still being determined.

The American Red Cross is providing housing assistance to the family. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

  Comments