UPDATE 2:18 p.m.: First Solar issued the following statement regarding the burn accident at its Topaz Solar Farms this morning:
"Today, an employee of a subcontractor at the Topaz Solar Farms site received a first-degree burn from an arc flash while performing transformer testing. The individual was transported by ambulance to the nearest hospital. The scene is safe, and all necessary safety precautions have been taken. Safety is the number one priority for First Solar. A full investigation of the incident is underway."
UPDATE 1:25 p.m.: The worker at Topaz Solar Farm was not injured seriously enough to be airlifted to the hospital. Instead, the worker was taken for medical treatment via ambulance, said Dawn Legg, company spokeswoman.
Original story: A subcontractor at the Topaz Solar Farm on the Carrizo Plain received second-degree burns Wednesday morning when he was evidently shocked while working on a transformer.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The worker was airlifted out to receive treatment at a hospital, said Dawn Marie Legg, spokeswoman for First Solar, the company building the solar-generating station. More details will be provided as it becomes available, she said.