A fire burned through the living room of a San Luis Obispo home Tuesday afternoon.
A neighbor of the home at 552 Westmont Ave. heard the smoke detector going off around 4:15 p.m. and used a garden hose to try to extinguish the fire while standing outside the front door, according to a press release from the San Luis Obispo City Fire Department. Arriving firefighters took over and were able to extinguish the blaze in the 1,200-square-foot, single-story duplex about 8 minutes after the 911 call reporting the blaze.
The fire started in the living room on a low table and burned completely through the floor, according to fire investigators. The cause appears to be accidental.
Property loss and damage is estimated at more than $20,000.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The two residents were not home when the fire broke out. The American Red Cross is providing temporary housing and assistance to the victims.