A barbecue left too close to a wood fence led to a garage fire at a San Luis Obispo home on Monday.
Firefighters were called at 6:16 p.m. to the residence at 2191 Florence Ave., according to a news release from the San Luis Obispo Fire Department.
The homeowners said the barbecue ignited the wood fence, and then spread to the garage siding, fascia and roof.
A sprinkler system in the home activated and kept the fire under control until firefighters arrived to put it out completely, according to the news release. Neighbors also used garden hoses to prevent the spread of the fire.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
No one was injured in the blaze, which caused an estimated $40,000 in damage.
The homeowners spent the night in a hotel due to residual smoke and potential damage to the house's electrical system.