The Arroyo Grande High football team defeated the visiting Righetti Warriors 28-7 at home Friday night in a PAC 7 matchup.
Running back Gabe Deleon had three rushing touchdowns for the Eagles, including two in the final four minutes of the fourth quarter to put the game away, and Brent VanderVeen threw for another touchdown as Arroyo Grande cruised.
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
But it wasn't all offense for the Eagles. The Arroyo Grande defense stopped Righetti three times in the red zone, including to fourth-down stops inside its own 10-yard line and a blocked field goal at its own 13.
- Atascadero 48, St. Joseph 43
- Arroyo Grande 28, Righetti 7
- Templeton 45, Santa Maria 8
- Mission Prep 31, Grace Brethren 6
- Pioneer Valley 25, Paso Robles 23
- Santa Ynez 21, Nipomo 3
- Lompoc 52, Morro Bay 8
The Arroyo Grande High football team took a 14-0 lead over Righetti into the fourth quarter at Doug Hitchen Stadium thanks to back-to-back red zone stops by the Eagles defense.
The Warriors had the ball inside the Arroyo Grande 10-yard line on consecutive possessions but turned the ball over on downs both times. The first came on a fourth-and-goal from the 3-yardline when Tyler Auerbach made a huge tackle for just a 1-yard gain.
The Eagles then gave the ball to Righetti on a fumble at their own 10, but the defense held strong again. It was Arroyo Grande's third red-zone stop after a second-quarter blocked field goal by Elijah Holt.
Gabe Deleon rushed for a 46-yard touchdown run with 11:11 left in the third quarter to put the Eagles up 14-0.
- Arroyo Grande 14, Righetti 0, end of 3rd quarter
- Templeton 38, Santa Maria 8, end of 3rd quarter
- Atascadero 42, St. Joseph 33, end of 3rd quarter
- Pioneer Valley 25, Paso Robles 16, 1:37 left in 3rd quarter
The only scoring of the first half came on a 15-yard touchdown pass from Brent VanderVeen to tight end Grant Talley with 3 minutes, 55 seconds left in the first quarter to give Arroyo Grande High a 7-0 lead in its PAC 7 home football game with Righetti.
The Warriors threatened late in the second quarter, but Elijah Holt blocked a chip-shot field-goal try 10 seconds before halftime to preserve the shutout.
Star senior linebacker Seth Jacobs had two tackles for loss in the first half, and also made a potentially touchdown-saving tackle by catching Collin Cooper from behind, bringing him down after a 53-yard run. Arroyo Grande's Garrett Owens missed a 51-yard field goal in the second quarter.
- Arroyo Grande 7, Righetti 0, halftime
- Templeton 29, Santa Maria 0, halftime
- Lompoc 31, Morro Bay 0, 2nd quarter
- St. Joseph 19, Atascadero 14, halftime
The Arroyo Grande High football team took a 7-0 lead over Righetti into the second quarter of their PAC 7 football matchup tonight in Arroyo Grande.
Senior quarterback Brent VanderVeen connected on a 15-yard touchdown strike to tight end Grant Talley for the first points of the night with 3:55 remaining in the first quarter.
- Arroyo Grande 7, Righetti 0, end of 1st quarter
- Templeton 16, Santa Maria 0, end of 1st quarter
- Atascadero 14, St. Joseph 6, end of 1st quarter
Check back throughout the night for updates on the game. You can also follow the game live at www.twitter.com/ThePrepsBox.