A fire investigator on Monday confirmed early suspicions that the Friday night blaze that led to the death of a 100-year-old man in San Luis Obispo started in his kitchen, but that the exact cause can’t be determined because of extensive damage.
The home of Roy Jones on Villa Court in southern San Luis Obispo was engulfed by the time firefighters arrived just after 10:45 p.m. Friday.
Firefighters battled heavy flames, smoke and extreme heat to reach the man, who was in his wheelchair in the only room in the house that was not burning, according to a firefighter who was at the scene.
Medics from the San Luis Obispo Fire Department and San Luis Ambulance did CPR and advanced life support at the scene, according to a Fire Department report.
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The man was later pronounced dead at Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center in San Luis Obispo.
Though the deceased’s next-of-kin has been notified, according to fire officials, the county Coroner’s Division is not confirming his name until a positive identification can be confirmed.
The fire was put out about 15 minutes after the first call came in, according to the Fire Department.
A firefighter was also taken to the hospital to be treated for second-degree burns to his ears and the back of his neck. He was later released.
Initially authorities had suspected that it started in Jones’ kitchen, either at the gas stove or by an electrical short circuit.