Local

Fire damages condemned duplex in Atascadero

A condemned and abandoned apartment building in Atascadero caught fire Thursday morning after a homeless person sleeping in a living room left a candle burning, authorities said.

No injuries were reported.

Fire engines from Atascadero, Cal Fire and Atascadero State Hospital arrived at 9550 El Camino Real at 5:27 a.m. Upon arrival, crews found one side of a duplex apartment building fully involved. The fire had also spread into the adjacent apartment through the attic.

The blaze took 45 minutes to contain, authorities said, adding that the attic fire was difficult to contain from the ground.

The estimated cost of damages wasn't available Friday. -Tonya Strickland

  Comments