SLO County Roundup

San Luis Obispo

A Paso Robles man suffered major head injuries after the garbage truck he was driving crashed and landed on its side.

The crash blocked both lanes of Highway 1 just north of San Luis Obispo shortly after 6:30 Thursday morning.

The 1997 Volvo garbage druck driven by 62-year-old Euderko Gonzalez crashed in the northbound lanes just south of the entrance to the California Men’s Colony, according to the CHP. Traffic was backed up for a half-mile five minutes after the crash was reported.

Gonzalez was taken to Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center in San Luis Obispo. His passenger, 53-year-old Ignacio Lopez of Santa Maria, was not injured.

The CHP said Gonzalez was approaching a red light when he attempted to swerve after noticing that traffic ahead of him had stopped. By 6:50 a.m., traffic was able to get through a small opening on the left side of the road, according to the CHP.

The road reopened just before 9 a.m., according to the CHP, but authorities requested notifications remain in place for a half-hour because of traffic being backed up to the San Luis Obispo city limits.

— Tribune staff report

North County

A field representative for Congressman Kevin McCarthy, R-Bakersfield, will meet with constituents in Paso Robles and San Miguel this month.

Field representative Mike Whiteford will be at the Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce at 1225 Park St. from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesday and at the San Miguel Community Services District office at 1150 Mission St., from 10 to 11 a.m. Feb. 19.

Those with questions can call 461-1034 or visit the congressman’s Web site, www.kevinmccarthy .house.gov.

— Tonya Strickland

Grover Beach

The city is accepting applications for two open vacancies on its Citizen Oversight Committee.

The committee is responsible for meeting once a year to review the expenditures public report, which includes information on budgeted spending in the upcoming fiscal year for the half-percent sales tax increase that was approved in 2006. The committee then creates a report on expenditures generated from the transaction and use tax to the City Council six months after the end of the fiscal year.

Applications are available at the City Clerk’s Office at Grover Beach City Hall, 154 S. 8th St. Appointments are made by the Grover Beach City Council.

— Amy Dempsey